Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Crossing our fingers...

So we were pretty busy this last week with Landon. We made several trips to the ocularist for fittings and trials with his shield. We have been working really closely with Robin (the ocularist) to fit him just right so that we don't add any uneccessary irritation to his eye. She has been wonderfully patient and even gave us her home number incase we had an emergency once we got home.

So Monday we had to practice taking the shield in and out. I cannot tell you how much I was DREADING this. And I'm a nurse for heaven's sake! It is SOOOO different when it's your own baby. Now remember this takes three people to hold him down and take the shield out and put it back in. Well for the first time ever, I wasn't able to do something medical and my husband was. I COULD NOT get that stupid shield out and the more I tried the more frustrated I became. So Robin ended up taking it out for me and then it was Jeremy's turn to put it back in and take it out. He did great. I was much better at holding Landon. I like the comforting part. So, I have decided that it will be Jeremy's primary job to take the shield in and out when we need to. I just flat out refuse to do it! My nursing friends would be appalled!

So cosmetically Robin has done an amazing job. The colored part of the eye just needs to be turned in a hair and it is done. He looks GREAT! It has only been 5 months that his eye has begun to shrink so drastically. I can't tell you how different he looks with both of his eyes open and bright. It does my heart good. I just sit and stare at him. Now it doesn't move with his other eye but that's okay. Just to have his lids open is great. I will post pictures of him as soon as we get the final product. The color is dead on!

We are so proud of Landon. He has been throug the ringer. We are hoping the shield only has to come out once a week to be cleaned. We go to see Dr. Holz on the 22nd of August. I am anxious to see what he will think of Bug's new eye. God is good and we are standing in faith that this will work for Landon permanently!! Your continued prayers for him are appreciated. Thanks for checking on him.

No comments: