Thursday, May 8, 2008

We're done

What a day! Sorry it has taken me a while to get to the computer. We are more than exhausted; mentally and physically. Landon was such a trooper today. We are so very proud of him. On that note, our greatest fears were confirmed. His eye is beyond repair. Dr. Holz said that the retina was not only completely detached but it was also folded up and pushed to the front of the eye. He said he didn't want to go into all of the "gory details." It was really no surprise to either of us. I told Dr. Holz that I did not regret going into surgery; we had to know; and he agreed. He said he had to know, too.

On a good note, they did not move forward with the corneal transplant. Apparently Dr. Omalley was right about that. His cornea was clear so they removed the cataract and closed his eye up. I am incredibly greatful that we did not have to do the transplant and that Landon will keep his eye. We will treat him for comfort; meaning we will make sure there is NO pain! And then we will talk about the hard contact like shield for cosmetics probably prior to pre-K or kindergarten. Before he hits his big socialization period :)

We cannot tell you how glad we are to be finished with this. There will be no more operating room, and only a few weeks worth of post op visits. He will go on wearing his little safety glasses and he'll be just fine. We were very disappointed, but that is overshadowed by the great feeling of completion. We have put our baby through more than enough, and we are glad to be done. 

I think that Landon will have a great testimony one day. I don't ask "why" this happened because no one knows but God and I can ask him one day when I get to heaven. We have learned more about faith than I can tell you and we have been stretched. But I am at a better place now than where I was when we started this ordeal and I feel good about that. Do I wish that God would have stretched me by using my own body and not my baby's? SURE DO! But it is all in his hands and we are moving on. Thank goodness!

We want to thank you for following this journey with us through this blog. It has been a great way to touch base with everyone and more importantly as I've said from the get go, it has been a great venting mechanism. I know my best friend has gotten tired of listening to me rant and rave about this, but she's never said so; and I love her for that. Thank you for praying and believing with us, even though the outcome has not been what we wanted. We have a baby who's blind in one eye and he is going to do amazing things all in Jesus' name. Thank you, we love you all. We'll let you know what happens at the post op visit tomorrow. 

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks for the blog update. Also, I appreciate the call yesterday afternoon.

God is working in this situation and will continue to do so. You have come so far since I first knew you as a freshman-as a woman and child of God.

Prayer will still be lifted up but I will give praise for the peace you are all experiencing.

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,
I have been reading your blog since your mom emailed me the link last month. You have had more people praying for you than you will probably ever know! Your faith and your outlook is so inspiring and I appreciate so much that I had opportunity to follow this. As a mother I cannot even begin to imagine...
Much love to you and your family and God Bless You!
Heather Martin